Our guest for this week’s show is real estate investment expert & serial developer, Patrick Nelson. Patrick is a real estate investor and developer operating 18 student-housing properties at university campuses nationally.
He and his team at Nelson Partners believe that well-positioned housing for students near campus can leverage the economic stability of a major university and cater to demand with less volatility than the macro-economy. His strategy is to target the well-located properties within walking distance of growing universities that fit within the company’s proprietary buying model.
In particular, the company will emphasize value-added opportunities, targeting well-located properties that can be upgraded from extensive renovations with a more contemporary look and feel. The key will be to make cost-effective improvements that students could potentially be willing to pay a higher premium for; helping to raise rents, grow income and appreciate property value.
“This is how you make money in real estate, in my opinion: the word is arbitrage.”
08:45: Overcoming inefficiencies with student housing real estate
13:15: How the difference between college campuses impacts real estate opportunities
15:15: The biggest risk in student housing
19:00: Why walkability is one of the most important indicators of success
21:22: Vertical integration in student housing
23:00: The surprising way that parking garages can help student mental health
28:51: What student housing and multi-family have in common
32:25: Patrick’s advice about project management
37:00: The changes in student housing due to COVID
42:45: Protection from barriers to entry
Guest Website: https://nelsonpartners.com/
- Accredited Investors, you’re invited to Join the Cashflow Investor Club to learn how you can partner with Kevin Bupp on current and upcoming opportunities to create passive cash flow and build wealth. Join the Club!
- If you’re a high net worth investor with capital to deploy in the next 12 months and you want to build passive income and wealth with a trusted partner, go to InvestWithKB.com for opportunities to invest in real estate projects alongside Kevin and his team.
- Looking for the ultimate guide to passive investing? Grab a copy of my latest book, The Cash Flow Investor at KevinBupp.com.
- Tap into a wealth of free information on Commercial Real Estate Investing by listening to past podcast episodes at KevinBupp.com/Podcast.
- Learn more about Kevin’s investment company and opportunities for Lifetime Cashflow at sunrisecapitalinvestors.com.
Review and Subscribe